Perspectives of a Writer and Musician

Issues related to writing, publishing and playing jazz music: One man's muse.
by Al Stevens

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cast Off

This is my casting table ready to go. Click the picture to get a better look.


I get all this stuff together before starting. I learned some time ago that just when you don't have time to go fetch something because the resin is setting up, you need what you don't have time to fetch. Now I try to think of everything first. Usually I forget something. We'll see if I did that this time.
  1. At the back of the table on the left side is a can of fiberglass resin.
  2. To the right of that is some fiberglass mat. You can use fiberglass mat or fiberclass cloth. Both are available at hardware stores. Either one works as well as the other.
  3. A pair of scissors rests on top of the mat. The scissors are to cut the mat into small strips.
  4. On the far right of the table are the two plaster molds.
  5. In front of the resin is a jar of petroleum jelly, which I use as a mold release.
  6. Next to the petroleum jelly are tongue depressors. I use them to stir the resin and hardener. They don't have any other specific purpose, but whenever I don't have tongue depressors around, I need tongue depressors.
  7. In front of the face mold are several disposable brushes. I use them to brush the resin into the mold and to slide the strips of fiberglass mat in place.
  8. To the left of the brushes are several plastic cups. These are for mixing the resin and its hardener. I marked each cup with a line that shows the 2-ounce mark.
  9. In the lower left corner of the table is a bag of surgical gloves. You never have enough of these handy, so I keep a bag of them within reach.
  10. In front of the back mold is a surgical face mask. I work with fiberglass outdoors, so there's plenty of ventilation. Nonetheless, I wear a surgical mask to keep from breathing the fumes.

Weather permitting, I'll start the casting process soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave Robison said...

Howdy Al,

This comment has nothing to do with your current topic, but I wanted to let you know I enjoy your blog and check it regularly, even with out the Vent list notices ;D

Today I found your promo video on YouTube and decided to "plug" you at my own blog.

Prepare for server slowdown from the torrent of traffic that will be redirected to your site. (as if)

Dave

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home