Perspectives of a Writer and Musician

Issues related to writing, publishing and playing jazz music: One man's muse.
by Al Stevens

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

Saturday, March 21, 2009

The workshop is cleaned and orderly again. Again? When was it ever orderly? Never mind, it is now. I don't know how long that will last, but at least now I have room to work and can find things.

The rotocaster project is well underway. The motor arrived in the mail a couple of days ago, completing the collection of parts I purchased online. I thought I had a tap and die kit hidden away in all that clutter, but when I cleaned the workshop, it did not surface. I need a 5/16" tap to thread the mitre gears. Right after I buy one, I'll find the tap and die set. It's probably in the garage, which is in about the same condition the workshop was in. Are you beginning to understand my cluttered mind?

Did you ever wonder how those guys on public TV keep such neat workshops when they show you how to build a cabinet or restore a chair? I bet if you visited them when the cameras weren't due in, you'd see a different picture.

Back to the project. There migh be some clearance and binding problems as the contraption gets closer to completion. I am expecting that. Unless you buy really expensive wood or have a joiner/planer, you can't get perfect wood. And measuring for precision holes is a challenge when your eyes are past their prime. We'll see. In the meantime, here is the frame assembly, which I temporarily assembled to see if it will even turn.



And here is the base with one of the supports clamped on and setting up.



Off to the hardware store to get a 5/16" tap.