Perspectives of a Writer and Musician

Issues related to writing, publishing and playing jazz music: One man's muse.
by Al Stevens

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Uncle Sweeter Begins to Take Form

I start building with the head. My sketches of Uncle Sweeter in profile show that his head protrudes forward from stooped shoulders. That requires a neck that juts backwards from the chin at an angle. Here's a sketch of his left profile.



I'll sculpt in clay on an armature, which begins life like this:



This is the beginnings of Uncle Sweeter's sculpted head looking at his left profile. It doesn't look like much, does it? The lower vertical dowel is where his headstick will be. The small piece that angles forward is the core of his neck. The upper vertical dowel is where I will sculpt his head.

Obviously, there's more to do with this armature before I can begin thinking about adding clay and sculpting a face. Check back for later episodes in this project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home