Perspectives of a Writer and Musician

Issues related to writing, publishing and playing jazz music: One man's muse.
by Al Stevens

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Eye to Eye

Friend and master figure maker Conrad Hartz tells me that Frank Marshall did indeed use pale gray eyes in some of his figures and that he often installed ill-fitting eyes, where the eye sockets and the eyeballs are not the same spherical shape. Conrad would know, for sure.

So my speculative assumption that Rickie-Tik's glass eyes might not be original equipment has less basis in fact than I thought. Chances are better now that Marshall installed the gray eyes when the figure was new. I do not understand why he used such fragile eyes. Perhaps he had them in inventory and wanted to keep costs down. They would not have survived a fall or a bump into a sharp object.

Would I do the same knowing that the subject would arouse controversy?

"Wouldn't I?"